Unfortunately accidents happen to nearly all of us sooner of later. Even a minor accident can have serious consequences if it is not handled correctly in the long-run. Learn how to protect yourself by utilizing the following do's and don't's when an accident does occur!
When you are in an accident:
- You must stop! You can be arrested for leaving an accident.
- Move everyone to safety as quickly as possible
- For minor accidents, move out of traffic lanes if you can do so safely
- If anyone is injured, call 911 immediately
- Contact the police to report the accident
- Exchange insurance information with other drivers involved
- Do not admit fault. That is up to the police and your insurance company to decide.
- Record as many details as you can about the accident and other parties involved. Get names and addresses and accounts from witnesses.
- If you can do so safely, take photos of cars and conditions that may be helpful later.
When you may need a lawyer or an attorney:
- If you have been injured
- If any of the other parties involved drive away or refuse to provide information about the accident
At the Law Office of Robert W. Kovacs, Jr., our legal team is capable of handling the details of even the most complex car accidents. We know how frustrating it can be when someone else's negligence causes you to suffer, which is why our car accident lawyers are here to help. With many years of experience and a committment to our clients' best interests, you can have confidence entrusting your case to our firm.