Due to the lack of protection motorcycles offer to their riders compared to drivers in motor vehicles, motorcycle accidents are often catastrophic and fatal in nature. However, if motorcyclists are able to brush themselves off and stand on their feet after a collision with another vehicle, there are proper steps they should follow in regard to ensure they obtain their entitled compensation to cover their injuries and property damage.
In order to have the best chance at claiming damages and providing your innocence, the following are the proper steps to do so:
- Check for injuries. If you are able to move, the first thing you need to do is check for injuries and ensure that everyone involved in the accident is okay. If anyone is injured, contact 911 to receive emergency medical attention.
- Gather contact information from the other driver. Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver involved. Make sure you get his or her name, address, phone number, insurance policy, and license number. Also, note the care make and model.
- Contact law enforcement. If anyone is injured, call the police in order to obtain a report. The police report can prove important in helping you recover monetary damages since it can be used as evidence.
- Take pictures of the accident scene. Document the scene of the collision by using your cellphone to take photos of the damage to each vehicle, the injuries, the road and weather conditions, street signs, skid marks, and witnesses.
- Speak with witnesses. If witnesses were present when the accident occurred, try to interview them and record their comments either at the scene or as soon after as possible.
- Notify your insurance provider. Call your insurance agent as soon as you can after the accident. Be prepared to offer them all of the information you have gathered. Remember, do not admit fault to anyone, including your insurance provider.
- Seek legal help from an attorney. If you are innocent and other party claims you are at fault for the accident, if your insurance company denies your claim, if your damages exceed the limits of your policy, or you have incurred serious physical injuries, an experienced personal injury lawyer can help.
If you suffered an injury in a motorcycle crash caused by a negligent driver in Massachusetts, contact the Law Office of Robert W. Kovacs, Jr. today.